Redwood Campus Center
Introduction – the Next Generation of Residential Campus Living
In January, Metropolitan purchased 300 West Redwood Street, a modern office building for conversion to 395 fully furnished, single occupancy apartments located on the campus of the University of Maryland Baltimore. The paradigm has changed in the COVID 19 generation of buildings. Single occupancy, fresh air distribution, increased air exchange
rate, filtration, UV treatment, increased elevator ratios and enhanced cleaning of common areas are now standard for campus living. By providing a complete retrofit of a modern building whose target market is graduate students and the UMB community, we will deliver the most advanced and innovatively engineered campus residential environment in Baltimore’s history, for initial occupancy commencing in academic year 2021. All utilities and high speed WiFi are included in the monthly rent and each apartment is designed for single occupancy or couples.
Each of the ten floors have individual and group study spaces. Laundry facilities are also provided on every floor and can be reserved for individual use, while in-unit laundry can be provided at the tenant’s option. The ground floor fitness center is designed and managed by the training team from the Under Armour Performance Center with gracious reciprocal privileges at the Under Armour Performance Center at 10 Light Street.
Of interest to our ownership is a strong relationship with all university graduate divisions and staff to promote a convenient, safe, highly engineered and amenity rich environment for graduate students and the university community at large. The only new multi-family product on campus to be offered in more than a decade, the fully furnished, all-inclusive rentals are specifically catered towards the needs of a busy student’s lifestyle. The completely safeguarded building, within two blocks of UMB, has integral secured parking for residents, with light rail, MARC and bus within easy walking distance. Parking is self contained and secured, and the study rooms on every floor are designed for distance learning if so required.
Due to the close proximity and easy walking distance to all of the UMB graduate divisions, the UM Medical Center, and the VA Medical Center, we are pursuing participation with the University Police Department’s Safe Walk/Safe Ride program and would be interested in providing space for a police substation with parking for duty vehicles.
The design of the fully furnished units allows for the inclusion of hospitality suites for
accommodations for our residents’ guests, UMB guests, visiting family members, and related
parties. If it is of interest to UMB, the program can be expanded to include visiting professors,
extended stay students, exchange students, etc.
Health and Safety
From its inception, the Project design and systems engineering has required the highest level of safety and occupant environmental performance criteria in the Baltimore residential community, specifically:
1. All apartments are designed for single occupancy to provide social distancing.
2. UVGI units (ultraviolet germicidal irradiation) are located in the supply air ducts for each mechanical air handler throughout the building (4 UVGI’s per floor, every floor).
3. In combination with UVGI, MERV 13 filters are located in each mechanical unit with required interval replacement.
4. Fresh outside air induction resulting in complete air changes on each floor at a rate of 5-7x per hour, 24/7 are programmed. If necessary, the induction capacity for fresh outside air can be further increased.
5. Six elevators are available in the event of interval distancing.
6. There are study rooms and business centers located on every floor that include high speed WiFi and video monitors for remote learning and video-communications.